Director, Alliance Management
Posted on: November 19, 2021
Business Development & Alliance Management - Seattle, Washington
Description Why Work for Us? Innovation. Act with Integrity.
Collaboration. Embrace Diversity. Care We come from many countries,
cultures, races, ethnicities, abilities and nationalities. We bring
our passions including singing, biking, swimming, dancing, cooking,
volunteering, parenting, coaching and much more! We are proud of
our nearly equal balance of men and women and strengthened by our
non-binary and transgender team members. Every employee belongs. We
offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits and an
environment that recognizes and rewards performance. Company
Description Zymeworks is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company
dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of
next-generation bispecific and multifunctional biotherapeutics.
Zymeworks' suite of complementary therapeutic platforms and its
fully-integrated drug development engine provide the flexibility
and compatibility to precisely engineer and develop
highly-differentiated product candidates. About the Position The
Zymeworks Business Development and Alliance Management team is
seeking an experienced and highly motivated professional looking to
take their career to the next level within our growing company.
This Director role will be responsible for working at the interface
between our internal cross-functional teams and our strategic
alliance partners, bringing focus and expertise to maximize
alliance performance, advance our corporate scientific and business
goals, and enhance Zymeworks' reputation as a pharmaceutical
industry "Partner of Choice". This position will report to the
Senior Director, Alliance Management and will preferably be based
in Seattle, WA, although consideration may be given to working from
Vancouver, BC. Key Responsibilities: Scope of Role
- Serve as alliance manager for our partnered platform
collaborations, pre-clinical and clinical development-stage
programs. Alliance Partner (External Focus)
- Promote effective alliance management best practices between
collaborating parties that yield synergies to accelerate achieving
business objectives, while upholding Zymeworks core values of
innovation, integrity, collaboration, embracing diversity and
- Serve as the alliance primary point of contact and formal
conduit between collaborating parties.
- Manage the day-to-day alliance activities,
co-chairing/facilitating joint governance activities, and ensuring
successful collaboration from initiation through execution of final
- Oversee and manage collaboration governance and operating best
practices, developing charters with clearly defined scope,
membership and decision-making rights. Represent Alliance
Management at other joint project team meetings.
- Develop understanding of what each partner brings to the
relationship; provide insight into how each organization works
internally to effectively synergize on operational execution, and
avoid delays in reaching critical decisions.
- Track, monitor, and communicate contractual obligations,
deliverables and milestones to ensure agreement terms and
responsibilities are upheld.
- Proactively identify issues and leading the resolution of
conflicts while working collaboratively to minimize crisis
management situations; where required elevate matters to
appropriate leadership or governance committees; ensure internal
alignment prior to joint decisions.
- Implement processes to solicit partner feedback on the
effectiveness of the collaboration. Identify and facilitate changes
to promote more effective collaboration.
- To facilitate the goals of the Alliance, responsibilities may
require a flexible work schedule outside of standard business hours
to accommodate partner time zone differences. Cross-Functional
Teams (Internal Focus)
- Work closely with internal team members and senior leaders, and
alliance counterparts to advance joint goals and deliverables.
- Coordinate with business development, finance, legal, and
corporate communications to facilitate proactive partnership
management and ensure strong alignment and coordination of key
- Develop and foster a trusted working relationship with members
of the clinical development and scientific research teams.
Participate in internal project team meetings to stay apprised of
details and emergent concerns.
- Maintain appropriate boundaries/confidentiality between
internal project teams and partner-focused discussions where
- Lead/facilitate internal stakeholder preparations for
Governance meetings or other key partner engagements, ensuring that
the Zymeworks perspective is appropriately aligned and
- Actively contribute to Business Development efforts (new
partnerships) through review and input to governance and operating
parameters of the partnership, and review of contract drafts.
- Lead the coordination and development of supporting partner
legal agreements/amendments (existing partnerships), facilitating
stakeholder engagement, timely review and execution.
- Thoroughly understand and be able to interpret the contract
terms of partner agreements; provide guidance internally to study
teams, committee members, and senior management; ensure appropriate
boundaries are set and upheld when decisions are made and
- Provide transparency to Zymeworks' leadership and relevant
internal stakeholders as to the status and progress of each
alliance. Proactively notify internal stakeholders when important
or time-sensitive matters arise, exercising appropriate
professional judgement of who to engage when.
- May be required to present at executive levels and/or
contribute to the preparation of materials for Sr. Leadership and
Board reviews. Within the Business Development / Alliance
- Participate in later-stage review of new partner contracts and
provide input to developing partnership execution terms, in
particular governance structures and operational processes.
- Ensure efficient hand-off from Business Development team
members following agreement execution as a new alliance is
launched; maintain open communication across BD and AM during this
- Help establish and implement alliance management best practices
using standard tools and approaches; ensure that alliances are
- Keep an eye towards continuous improvement; seek to identify
and incorporate industry best practices.
- Share learnings across the organization; assist/mentor new or
less experienced team members.
- Participate in relevant partnering and industry conferences to
represent Zymeworks; contribute to fostering a positive company
- Contribute to realizing our BD/AM vision of developing
Zymeworks as a Partner of Choice.
- Maintain "true north" of corporate mission, values, and goals,
while also demonstrating strong intrinsic motivation and ability
for day-to-day self-direction.
- Adhere to highest degree of professional standards and maintain
strict confidentiality on matters that require discretion.
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduate-level degree strongly preferred (Master's, PhD, MBA)
in biomedical sciences or other discipline related to life sciences
and/or drug discovery. Bachelor's degree required.
- Direct experience working in the field Immunology and/or
Oncology research, with an understanding of the clinical
development process (IND through BLA/NDA) is highly desirable.
- High-capacity for learning new subject matter quickly,
demonstrating adaptability along career path.
- Minimum of 12 years of relevant experience in biotech,
pharmaceutical, or related scientific industry; experience in
oncology and/or immunology is desirable.
- Minimum of 10 years in a program management,
partnership/alliance management role working with a diverse
spectrum of external partners; career progression should
demonstrate an expanding scope of complexity, responsibility, and
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be
considered. Alliance Management
- Experience working with and managing cross-functional teams,
including joint governance committees.
- Possess professional demeanor with ability to command respect
through exercise of sound business judgment and clear
- Strong facilitative leadership ability, having demonstrated
examples of applying effective and diplomatic negotiation
- Able to prioritize, maintain focus and drive, amidst the noise
of day-to-day challenges.
- High emotional intelligence, with outstanding collaboration,
communication and relationship management skills.
- Adaptive leadership style with ability to strategically and
operationally flex based on changing circumstances. Business Acumen
- Recognized as a strategic thinker with ability to see the
bigger picture, while still keeping abreast of the details.
- Maintains awareness of external factors and competition to help
position internal pipeline activities for success.
- Possesses excellent business acumen; demonstrated ability to
develop/implement solutions that advance corporate and alliance
- Solid working knowledge of legal contracts and ability to
interpret and communicate terms and obligations to
- Finance experience monitoring 3rd party contractual
obligations, budget/invoice reconciliation and responding to audit
queries. Additional Information
- This full-time position, while not remote, may offer some
flexibility between on-site and off-site work days.
- Travel ( How to Apply NOTE TO EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES: Zymeworks
values our relationships with our Recruitment Partners. We will
only accept resumes from those partners whom have been contracted
by a member of our Human Resources team to collaborate with us.
Zymeworks is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that
are unsolicited or are received without contract. Zymeworks is an
Equal Opportunity Employer NewYorkLifeScience.com, owned and
published by Info.Resource, Inc. , is a resource
for the life science industry in the state of New York.
Keywords: NewYorkLifeScience.com, Vancouver , Director, Alliance Management, Executive , Vancouver, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!