Assistant, Medical Certified
Company: Kaiser Permanente
Posted on: November 17, 2021
Participates with the Health Care Team in delivering quality &
customer focused health care to patients in a manner that reflects
Kaiser Permanente's mission, vision & values. Provides clinical &
administrative support to clinicians & other health care team
members to offer a variety of health care services to patients.
Clinical duties involve both direct (in person) & indirect (via
phone or on-line) patient care activities requiring both simple to
complex clinical knowledge & skills. As appropriate to the
position's scope of authorized duties, the MA is expected to have
competent observational, clinical, critical thinking,
communication, problem-solving & decision-making skills in order to
meet patient needs & contribute to a positive care experience &
work environment. Works under the clinical supervision of the
clinician for patient care activities, & under the general
direction of the designated manager/supervisor.Essential
- Clinical Tasks: These job tasks provide patient care & are to
be performed competently, consistently, accurately & according to
established regional/departmental clinical protocols, policies &
procedures & standards.
- They are: Prepares & organizes patient's office visit for known
reason/procedure by ensuring that all appropriate tests, clinical
information (e.g. diagnostic test results, consultation reports,
outside records, etc.) & order entries are ready for clinician
review prior to appointment time.
- Collects pertinent subjective (e.g. signs & symptoms,
allergies, current medication, tobacco use, etc.) & objective (e.g.
vital signs, height, weight, etc.) data related to patient's reason
for visit (i.e. chief complaint, presenting symptoms or
- Utilizes standardized tools (e.g. PST, health maintenance
alerts) to identify & address health maintenance/care gaps with
patient & alerts clinician on those that require his/her
- Recognizes signs & symptoms of common medical illnesses,
abnormal versus new/existing & reports to clinician.
- Alerts clinician on signs & symptoms requiring immediate
attention & respond to directions per clinician
- Prepares patient for actual visit/procedure prior to
clinician's exam during rooming-in process.
- Assures exam/procedure room contains appropriate supplies,
equipment, forms & educational materials are available & ready for
use during visit/procedure.
- Checks equipment are in safe working order & cleans room after
- Provides patient with after-visit, follow-up, self-care or
procedural instructions and/or educational materials as directed by
- Use KP HealthConnect & other information systems to document
all pertinent data & outcomes of patient care according to
standardized procedures & policies such as & not limited to the use
of SBAR, KP HealthConnect smarttools, etc.
- Updates demographic or historical clinical data gathered in the
electronic medical record.
- Clinical Procedures: Performs diagnostic tests, therapies &
procedures within scope of authorized duties competently & with
maintenance of proficiency according to: a) specific department
standards on core clinical tasks (see department's list of core
skills); b) application of knowledge & skills appropriate to
developmental age of patient; & c) established policies such as &
not limited to patient safety, aseptic & sterile techniques &
infection control.- Examples of categories of clinical tasks are as
follows: Screening tests - e.g. vital signs, vision, hearing,
developmental, LOPS, pain, etc.- Diagnostic tests - e.g. urine
dips, spirometry/peak flow, bladder scan, finger sticks for
- This job description is not all encompassing.Basic
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program approved by
the State.- Medical Assistant - Certified in the State of
Washington upon hire.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Providers within
thirty (30) days of hire.
- Employees must be able to successfully obtain Kaiser
Permanente's Medication Administration Competency Certification
within ninety (90) days of employment as a Medical Assistant.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and customer service skills
(assessment required for external candidates).
- Demonstrated communication (written and oral) skills.
- Demonstrated literacy in using computers and keyboarding.
- Skills in problem-solving, setting priorities and using good
judgment for decisions.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently under
- One (1) to two (2) plus years in a medical assistant position
to assigned department's clinical area (e.g. Pediatrics, FP/IM,
OB/Gyn, Surgery, Dermatology, Neurology, Cardiology, etc.) within
an ambulatory care setting preferred.
- Demonstrated clinical knowledge and procedural skills and/or
documented trainings in assigned department's clinical area within
the last one (1) to three (3) years preferred.
- Current National Medical Assistant Certification
- Familiarity in documenting in an electronic medical record
system preferred.PrimaryLocation :HoursPerWeek : 30Shift :Workdays
: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, SunWorkingHoursStart
:WorkingHoursEnd :Job Schedule :Job Type : StandardEmployee Status
: RegularEmployee Group/Union Affiliation : W06-SEIU-Local 49Job
Level : Individual ContributorJob Category : Clinical
Support,Medical AssistantDepartment :Travel : No
Keywords: Kaiser Permanente, Vancouver , Assistant, Medical Certified, Healthcare , Vancouver, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!