Patient Access Representative
Company: Legacy Health
Posted on: October 17, 2020
Patient Access Representative
US-WA-VancouverJob ID: 20-14018Type: Part Time - BenefittedSalmon
Creek Medical Ctr campusOverview You are the first face that
patients see, and you set the tone for a personable, positive
experience. In short, you are the face of Legacy. As we strive to
fulfill our mission of making life better for others, we need
caring and capable individuals to assist patients in every aspect
of their health care journey. As a Patient Access Representative,
you will use your strong communication and interpersonal skills to
collect insurance and other information from patients, help
patients and families determine financial responsibilities, collect
co-payments, and obtain required legal documentation for state and
federal compliance regulations. Your ability to create accurate
medical and financial records will benefit patients as well as
medical professionals and staff. Responsibilities The Patient
Access Representative is the primary non-clinical contact for all
hospital-based patient visits. Greets, registers, checks-in and
admits patients depending on scope and service line. Key duties
include the collection of demographics, medical providers involved
in the patient's care, medical decision makers, the verification of
insurance/benefits, and determination of financial
responsibilities. Assists patients and their families in
determining active insurance coverage and provides information on
accessing financial and insurance resources. Offers self-pay
information and discounts as appropriate. Collects appropriate
copayments, co-insurances, deposits and payments. Works in
collaboration with most Revenue Cycle departments and each
hospital's units/departments to create accurate medical and
financial records. Collects and provides required legal
documentation to meet State and Federal compliance regulations.
Qualifications Education: High School diploma or equivalent
required. A minimum of two years college education including
satisfactory completion of college level Health Records coursework
preferred. Experience : A minimum of one year of healthcare
experience or equivalent education in at least one of the following
areas required: Patient Access, Medical Records/Health Information
or applicable clerical support experience. Six months customer
service experience required. Previous registrar and third-party
payor experience preferred. An understanding of health plan and
benefit structures preferred. Skills :
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills required.
- Ability to work efficiently with minimal supervision,
exercising independent judgment within stated guidelines.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills which promote
cooperation and teamwork.
- Ability to withstand varying job pressures and
organize/prioritize related job tasks.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks at the same time.
- Excellent public relations skills and demonstrated ability to
communicate in calm, succinct, business-like manner.
- Ability to deal with people in emergent and/or stressful
- Ability to identify alternative means of communication as
- Ability to adapt to change.
- Keyboard skills and ability to navigate electronic systems
applicable to job functions.
- Ability to maneuver through several applications including
electronic medical records, Microsoft Office applications,
different software, website, and databases.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex collection issues.
- Demonstrated knowledge of multi-payor systems, and
understanding and applying e-coverage results preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of billing/collection, past balances,
deposits and knowing State and Federal rules and regulations
- Ability to understand and adhere to EMTALA (Emergency Medical
Treatment and Labor Act) guidelines.
- Able to communicate patient financial communication, offer
financial aid services, educating patients on eligibility and in
and out of network status.
- Ability to enroll patients into Presumptive Medicaid services -
which entails a detailed questionnaire with the patient to
- Knowledge of medical terminology. LEGACY'S VALUES IN ACTION:
Follows guidelines set forth in Legacy's Values in Action. Equal
Keywords: Legacy Health, Vancouver , Patient Access Representative, Other , Vancouver, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!