Senior Civil Engineer
Company: City of Vancouver
Posted on: May 3, 2021
8,128.00 - 10,567.00
The purpose of this position is supervise, plan, design and
coordinate the delivery of the transportation street design
program. Managing the design of transportation related capital
improvement projects from preliminary design through environmental
documentation and right of way phase and final plans,
specifications and estimates (PS&E). Deliver construction ready
projects. Supervise in-house design staff for preparation of plan
sets, specifications for construction and detailed cost estimates.
Select and manage project consultant. Coordinate projects with city
departments, outside organizations, and with funding and regulatory
This is a full-time, regular, non-union, exempt position. The
schedule for this position is M-F, 8:00am to 5:00pm.
First screening of applications will be March 24, 2021.
- Manage design of capital improvement projects. Supervise staff
in the preparation of engineering plans, specifications, and
estimates. Review and approve designs and deliverables prepared by
others. Coordinate projects funding and approvals with outside
agencies. Responsible for bringing projects from planning phase
through design to final PS&E (plans, specifications and
estimates) for construction bidding. Conduct field site visits to
project sites, travel to offsite meetings and trainings. Drive a
City vehicle in a safe and appropriate manner between
- Prepare environmental documentation for projects, and
coordinate environmental approvals with regulatory agencies.
Prepare and process documentation for right of way acquisitions and
coordinate projects right of way certifications with funding
- Manage consultant contracts and consultants teams working
various projects and tasks. Select consultants and negotiate
agreements. Review and approve consultants designs and
deliverables, and monitor their progress and approve payments.
- Direct and supervise staff within the transportation street
design program. Conduct performance evaluations, coordinate
training, work with employees to correct deficiencies, and
implement hiring, discipline, and termination procedures.
Recommend, within departmental policy, appropriate service and
- Coordinate and prioritize design projects with City
departments, county and state highway departments, and other
relevant agencies or parties.
- Develop, maintain, and update technical procedure manuals and
technical standards details for transportation designs.
- Participate in budget preparation and administration. Prepare
cost estimates for budget recommendations; monitor and control
expenditures. Participate in the initial planning of projects to be
proposed and assist in establishing schedules and budgets.
- Answer questions and provide information to public and
consultants about transportation projects and standards.
- Support Construction Group during construction of
Experience and Education
- Five years (5) of increasingly responsible professional civil
engineering experience, including at least two years of lead
supervisory and project management responsibility. Experience in
civil, transportation, water and sewer, stormwater, signal and
lighting, and/or pavement design preferred.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree in civil engineering or a
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be
- Familiarity with GIS, AutoCAD with Civil 3D design software,
and HydroCAD software.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Outlook,
PowerPoint and Project.
Required Licenses and/or Certifications
- Certificate of registration as a professional civil engineering
in the state of Washington (or ability to obtain through
reciprocity within 6 months).
- Valid, appropriate drivers license.
- Principles and practices of civil and construction
- Principles and practices of streets and transportation,
hydrology and hydraulics, soils, water and sewer utility design,
and basic structures
- Principles of supervision, training, and performance
- Principles and practices of project and construction management
- Pertinent Federal, state, and local laws, codes, and
regulations including civil engineering laws and regulations
- Principles of mathematics relating to engineering work
- Terminology, methods, practices, and techniques used in
technical civil engineering reports
- Principles and practices of budget preparation and control
- Recent developments, current literature, and sources of
information regarding civil engineering
- Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment
- Use of personal computers and basic software
- Plan, organize, and supervise the work of professional and
- Train and evaluate subordinate staff
- Manage large and complex engineering projects
- Ensure project compliance with appropriate federal, state, and
local rules, laws, and regulations
- Monitor phases of construction projects and prepare progress
and final reports
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project
consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in
support of goals
- Conduct comprehensive engineering studies and develop
- Plan efficient and economical system development
- Perform technical research and solve difficult engineering
- Prepare and maintain technical civil engineering records and
prepare comprehensive reports
- Compile rough technical data and prepare statistical an
narrative reports from field studies
- Develop, review and modify civil engineering plans, designs,
- Manage multiple projects and priorities
- Exercise professional engineering judgment to achieve results
consistent with objectives
- Use a personal computer and appropriate computer software
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in
- Establish and maintain cooperative-working relationships with
those contacted in the course of work
- Work in a manner consistent with the City of Vancouvers
- Provide a high level of customer service at all times
- Project and maintain a positive image with those contacted in
the course of work
- Develop and maintain collaborative and respectful working
relationships with team members and others
- Maintain regular and dependable attendance
This position is subject to successful completion of a
pre-employment reference check, a basic criminal background check
and a driving abstract.
Job Posting End Date
Open Until Filled
Posted 7 Days Ago
The City of Vancouver looks for people who are passionate about
service and want to be part of the City's ambition to become a more
exceptional community. We value employees who are adaptable,
innovative, collaborative and hold themselves to the highest
standard of integrity and excellence in the spirit of public
Our greatest assets are the more than 950 people who make the
City of Vancouver work every day. Whether architects or engineers,
lawyers or accountants, police officers or firefighters, journeymen
or apprentices, our employees work every day to make Vancouver a
more safe, welcoming, vibrant and prosperous city. The services we
provide touch every resident and business in the city. If you are
looking for a challenging career where you can make a difference
every day, the City may be the place for you. City departments span
a wide range of specialties, from public works, parks,
administration and human resources to communications, public
safety, information technology, finance, economic development and
law. The size and scope of our organization means that the
opportunities we offer are as diverse as the people that work here.
Beyond the Citys competitive salaries, our benefits and work
environment support and encourage a healthy, balanced lifestyle and
ongoing development and learning opportunities.
Working at the City is not just a government job. A career at
the City can be a rewarding way to contribute to your community and
earn a living. Our organization is made up of dynamic employees who
enjoy the many opportunities and benefits offered by challenging
and rewarding work.
In conjunction with the Americans with Disabilities Act,
disability will be considered only in context of an applicant's
ability to perform essential functions of the job and to determine
reasonable accommodation. The physical demands described in job
announcements are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the
job. Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable
accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please
tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a
job or to perform your job.
Announcement information can be made available in an alternative
format by calling 711 (Relay Operator for the Deaf).
Keywords: City of Vancouver, Vancouver , Senior Civil Engineer, Other , vancouver, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!