Domestic Violence Bilingual Advocacy Specialist
Company: YWCA Clark County
Posted on: May 23, 2023
Status: FulltimeHours: 40Pay Range: $21.00 + $1.00 Bilingual
Differential + $1000 Sign on BonusBenefits: Visit our Benefits and
Perks Tab by Clicking Here General
- Assure that participants, staff, volunteers, and community
partners are treated with respect and dignity regardless of race,
ethnic background, gender, or socioeconomic background.
- Gain approval for, track, and engage in activities that meet
the organization's 1% for Social Change requirement.
- Think through the lens of racial equity and its intersections
with poverty. Use the core principles of anti-racism and grounding
those principles in all daily tasks
- Incorporate the YWCA's commitment to social justice by
understanding how racism, sexism, classism, and other oppressions
intersect and are embedded in institutions. Seek opportunities for
continued learning about racial, gender, and class equity.
- Proactively maintain yearly domestic training requirements as
- Be present for and appropriately participate in staff meetings
- Establish and maintain a record of impeccable dependability
with regard to punctuality, following call-out procedures, and
adhering to the policies, practices, and guidelines set by the
organization and SafeChoice.
- Ability to be flexible with the schedule and day-to-day tasks,
and prioritize appropriately.
- Maintain a calm and professional demeanor while working in a
high-stress and unpredictable environment, including flexibility in
last-minute shift coverage changes.
- Maintain appropriate personal/professional boundaries with
participants and co-workers to maintain clear, open, and unbiased
lines of communication.Direct Services Advocacy
- Provide bi-lingual support and empowerment-based, domestic
violence advocacy in English and Spanish.
- Provide onsite advocacy services on a walk-in and appointment
- Provide mobile advocacy, meeting survivors in the community in
order to best meet their needs.
- Provide support to participants who are filing protection
- Provide assistance in obtaining services for participants with
immigration issues in the context of domestic violence.
- Respond to survivors on domestic violence hotline calls.
- Utilize strong de-escalation and empowerment skills to best
support survivors and families impacted by domestic violence and to
minimize the effects of secondary trauma.
- Provide culturally responsive advocacy that honors the lived
experiences of every survivor accessing support services.
Effectively communicate available resources that support cultural
values, beliefs and customs.
- Connect participants with relevant community resources to
address needs related to domestic violence, including domestic
violence education, domestic violence protection orders, safety
planning, housing, and financial assistance.
- Serve as a primary contact for community partners that provide
Latinx specific services, and provide culturally responsive
domestic violence advocacy to survivors who prefer to work with a
Bilingual Advocacy Specialist.
- Effectively and respectfully work with people from diverse
backgrounds and with diverse needs.
- Facilitate domestic violence support groups.Translation
- Relay concepts and ideas between languages.
- Edit and proofread text to reflect language accurately.
- Use dictionaries, glossaries, and computer-assisted translation
- Facilitate communication for participants with limited English
- Interpret and translate both legal terminology and colloquial
- Read aloud documents in a language other than that in which
they were written.
- Translate participant information from spoken or written
Spanish to written English for submission to court or legal system
for documents such as a Domestic Violence Protection Order.
- Collaborate with other SafeChoice staff to provide translation
services to any Spanish-speaking program participant in
- In collaboration with the program director, ensure that
advocacy services are equitable and that staff are knowledgeable in
providing culturally responsive services to Latinx survivors.
- Attend community events to support outreach and education
efforts as requested.
- Co-facilitate training and conduct presentations on domestic
violence, oppression, and dynamics of intimate partner
violence.There is a strong social justice component to all
positions within YWCA Clark County, requiring critical thinking
through the lens of racism and intersections with poverty. Knowing
the core principles of anti-racism and grounding those principles
in everyday work are required job skills and core valuesRelated
EducationAA/AS degree in a related field or position equivalent
experience in addition to the experience requirements listed
below.Related ExperienceAt least six months experience:
- Working or volunteering with Latinx communities.
- Providing empowerment-based advocacy, preferably domestic
violence advocacy to at-risk populations.
- Facilitating educational workshops/trainings to groups of 10 or
- Current driver's license and/or ability to commute throughout
Clark County to fulfill job responsibilities.Required Knowledge
- Knowledge and understanding of the issues, needs and interests
of Latinx survivors, including providing culturally
- Understanding of intersecting oppressions, empowerment, and the
dynamics of domestic violence.
- Proficient in MS Office products.Don't meet every single
requirement after reading through this post? You may be just the
right candidate for the role or future roles, and please know we
value lived experience! Studies have shown that due to white
supremacy culture, systemically oppressed communities are less
likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single
qualification. YWCA Clark County is dedicated to building a
diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you're excited
about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly
with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you
to apply anyways.
Keywords: YWCA Clark County, Vancouver , Domestic Violence Bilingual Advocacy Specialist, Other , Vancouver, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...